A bit about me
I am a full time wheelchair user and play the Paralympic sport of Boccia.
I am an independent Boccia athlete, four times National DSE Champion, Twice English National Champion and I am currently undefeated in England this year....
I have medalled Internationally at my last 3 International outings.
I train regularly in Kirknewton Village Hall 4-5 days a week.
I travel regularly, training with Sans Frontieres Boccia Club and I compete Nationallly and Internationally.
A bit about Boccia
Boccia is an attack and defend game, with two sides competing over a set number of ends.
The aim is to score as many points as possible by placing their set of coloured balls closest to the white jack ball.
Boccia adheres to the following rules:
- If a player is unable to throw or kick it, they can use a ramp (assistive device)
- If they are unable to release the ball with their hands players can use a head pointer
- All players must be seated during the game
- Singles and pair matches are four ends and team matches are six ends
- An end consists of all 13 balls being propelled onto court (the jack, 6 red and 6 blue)
- Each side can have 1, 2 or 3 players (singles, pair or team match)
- Decided using a coin toss, the winning player/captain chooses to be red or blue
- Both sides must occupy a designated box on the court from where balls are propelled
- The red side always begins the first end by propelling the jack into court
- In a pairs or team match each player propels the jack onto court in turn
- In a singles match both players will aternate twice
- The player who propels the jack ball also propels their teams first coloured ball
- A player from the opposite side the propels their first coloured ball
- The side not closest to the jack plays until they get closer, or run out of balls
- The end is complete when all balls from both sides have been propelled
- One point is awarded for every ball of the same colour, which is closest to the jack
If you are interested in finding out more, please see the following websites:
Also you can follow me on Facebook at Harry Thompson BC4 and at Sans Frontieres Boccia Club