The Village Hall
Kirknewton Village Hall's Official User, here to keep you up to date with all the news and upcoming events at Kirknewton Village Hall, North
signed up: 15th Apr 2014visit The Village Hall ...
Posted by Pat Edwards
Kirknewton Parish Council
Minutes of a meeting held on Tuesday, 19th April 2016,
at 2.00pm in the Village Hall
Present: Cllrs. Edward Brown (Chairman), Steve Marriott, Andy and Helen Blowers,
Parishioners: Patrick Edwards, Peter Brewis.
Clerk: Angela Hallam-Baker
1. Apologies for absence were received from Cllr. Kay Aisthorpe, County Cllr. Anthony
Murray, and PC Mark Lynn.
2. Police Report – none.
3. The minutes of the meeting held on 15th March 2016 were agreed and signed.
4. Matters arising from the minutes:
• Potholes – the potholes on the B6351 between Yeavering and Westnewton Bridge had been reported, as had those on the Hethpool road. The clerk had also written to Grant Davey, Leader of the County Council, to complain that potholes are causing damage to vehicles and a risk of collisions. No response had been received. A serious accident was reported when a Land Rover had overturned near Yeavering after hitting a pothole. The Police had attended, as a consequence of which the pothole was filled the next day. Other potholes remained unfilled, although Cllr. Lloyd reported that potholes along the Lanton road on the other side of the river in Milfield Parish had been filled.
• Northumberland National Park Planning – in response to the minute referring to plastic pvc windows in the National Park, an email had been received from the Head of Development Management stating that the planning officer had been visiting Listed Buildings where reports had been received of pvc windows having been installed without consent. PVC window frames in unlisted buildings are permitted.
The email also clarified that the Planning Review relates only to applications processed by NCC, and that the automatic trigger to refer applications to the NNPA Development Management Committee, where parish councils disagree with officers’ decisions, still remains.
5. Financial Report:
Payments since the last meeting: Clerk’s half-year fee and expenses - £151.59
Receipts “ “ “ CAN Transparency Grant - £653.84
Bank balance at 24th March 2016 - £1,693.71
• Report on Cabinet Meeting on 21st March 2016 – Cllr. Murray had said that according to the minutes of the meeting, there had been little discussion on planning, and he could not see anything which would greatly affect small rural communities.
• Application ref: 16/00911/FUL – Single storey extension to rear of property at Gregory, Kirknewton – the plans had been examined by the Parish Council, and there were no objections.
• Application ref: 16/01076/CCM – Resubmission for provision of permanent scour protection to Westnewton Bridge. Peter Brewis stated that the two main matters to be dealt with are stability and blockage. A concrete apron would be installed across the river to minimise scour and gravel deposition, and NCC now has permission to remove gravel blocking the flow (Gravel Management Plan).
The old railway abutment will be removed, raising the crest of the flood embankment to improve the risk of flooding to adjoining land.
It is envisaged that the work will take place between the beginning of May and end of September, and the PC asked the clerk to write to Anne-Marie Trevelyan MP, reminding her of the meeting she attended at County Hall in September last year, and asking her to ensure that the Agencies are all in agreement with the revised application before it goes to the Planning Department, and that it is submitted in good time.
The clerk was also asked to write to the Planning Department supporting the application and emphasising its request that the work be carried out this year.
7. County Councillor’s Report: none.
• NE Ambulance Service is to provide training on Thursday, 28th April, from 7-9pm in the Village Hall to operate CPR and the Defibrillator. Anyone wishing to attend should let Tony Reed-Jones know (email@example.com)
In view of the installation of the defibrillator in the Village Hall, and the fact that the Hall is designated as a “rescue centre”, the PC considered that a telephone land line should be installed. The clerk would contact NCC about this and also request that the mast by Westnewton Bridge should be made available for a mobile connection.
• Battle of the Somme Commemoration on 1st July 2016 – a letter from Anne-Marie Trevelyan MP stated that funding is available for repair, conservation and protection of war memorials. Since the war memorial in Kirknewton had recently been re-furbished, it was not thought that anything more was required to be done.
• Grant to start new activity groups – the GGT has grants of up to £100 for new groups to promote healthy projects in the community. The information was passed on to Peter Brewis of the Village Hall Trust to discuss this with the members.
• Love Northumberland Awards – it was not known of any local projects which might apply for this, but flyers have been left in the Village Hall for anyone who might be interested.
• Citizens Advice Bureau merger – the CAB is to be known from 1st April 2016 as Citizens Advice Northumberland. The local contact for this area is:
Gillian Walker – Advice Service Manager – Berwick Office/Wooler, Tel: 01289 330502, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
9. NALC News:
Following the retirement of David Francis, NALC Chief Officer is Stephen Rickett, and CAN’s Chief Executive is Andy Dean.
10. Any other business:
• Litter pick on Sunday, 17th April – volunteers from the parish collected over 24 bags of rubbish between Kilham and Akeld. This was kindly organised by Tony Reed-Jones.
11. Dates of next meetings: Annual Parish Meeting followed by May monthly meeting at 2.00pm on Tuesday, 17th May 2016.